This post contains affiliate links
I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this unicorn craze! Right now everyone is getting ready for fall and Halloween, but I've been in my workspace making unicorn ornaments for Christmas! Below I've listed what materials I used and where to get them! These can really be done any way you like. There are plenty of different ways to skin this cat! Make it to your liking and have fun with it!
You will need:
- Fine Glitter
- Ornaments (bulb?)
- Sharpie (for the eyelashes) or if you have a cutting machine, you can cut out your own lashes! I recommend this machine. Otherwise, you can purchase a sheet of 10 here.
- Molding Clay Pink / Molding Clay White glitter
- 3/8 in Ribbon
- mini plastic cups
- small funnel
- syringe, dropper, or small baster
- hot glue gun
I didn't take many pictures of my steps because i didn't even think about making a DIY post, but i can easily answer your questions!
- Lay out 10 of your mini cups. I suggest glittering 5 at a time for the glitter part because the polyacrylic will dry before you can put it into all 10 ornaments and wont hold the glitter.
- place your 10 bulbs onto the cups, tops removed
- Don't rush, but make sure not to lollygag during this part, because the polyacrylic will dry! Add about 1-2 Tablespoons of the polyacrylic to only 5 bulbs (don't worry about measuring I'm just giving you an idea of how much you need). Use the syringe/dropper, whatever you have
- Swirl the polyacrylic around until it covers the entire inside, then dump the excess back into the can - place back on the mini cup UPSIDE DOWN to finish draining while you do this to the other 4.
- Using funnel, pour fine glitter into bulb. cover opening with your finger and shake it until the entire inside of the bulb is covered. pour the extra glitter back into your glitter container. Repeat this with the other 4. Now that that part is done you can repeat from step 3 on the other 5 bulbs. Replace lids to bulbs
- Once that's done you'll want to make your horns. The easiest way to make them is to make two "snakes" and twist them together. There's nothing I can say to help you perfect this step, you'll just have to play with it. Every one of my horns look completely different and I have yet to master the art. Make sure to follow the directions to seal them if you're using the oven bake clay. Also make sure the bottoms are flat so you can put them on your bulb later.
- Once they're cooked/cured, glue them right up against the lid to the ornament.
- Cut out some ears and glue those on, then glue your flowers around that. All my ornaments had a different number of flowers. i just used as many as i wanted until it looked good.You want to use them to your advantage to hide the glue from the ears and horn.
- Next apply your eyelashes and tie a ribbon through the top and its ready to go!
- Take pictures, tell your friends, and tag DownSideUpMommy in your posts! I would love to see what you come up with!
Custom Sewing, Embroidery, Decals and more!